The first generation of Wakunami Soryu potters received direction from the first generation Suwa-Sozan, known for the work he developed in seiji glazed pottery, characteristic of Kyoto pottery.
Ever since, for four generations by Wakunami family potters, the traditional craft of Kyoto Kiyomizu Pottery has been carefully carried on.
The present fourth generation Wakunami Soryu married Madoka Ota, born and raised in the old pottery village of Koishiwara, in Fukuoka prefecture.
Kyo-yaki Pottery and Koishiwara Pottery — At Soryu-gama, these two totally different styles mix and blend to nurture and present to the world, a new pottery.
Seeking a new expression with the translucent bluish seiji glaze, Soryu and Madoka work daily, side by side at their potters wheels.
Wakunami Soryu The first
- Born in Kanazawa in Ishikawa Prefecture in 1907 (Meiji 40)
- Study basic pottery under the first Suwasozan
- Manager of design instruction Department in Kyoto City School of Arts and Crafts
- Study basic designing under the Chikuma Shoroku
- Dedicate the 17 pieces of dishes to Ise Shrine
- Dead in 1979 (Showa 54)
Wakunami Soryu The second
- Born in Kanazawa in 1942
- Graduate Art and Crafts Department in Kyoto City of Hiyoshigaoka Senior Hingh School
- Graduate Art and Crafts vocational school
- Study basic pottery under the first Soryu
- Study under received Order of Culture Kusubeyaichi
Wakunami Soryu The third
- Born in Katsuyama in Fukui Prefecture in 1951
- Graduate Kyoto Women’s University
- Succeeded his wife as the third Soryu
Inside Our Studio
Soryu-Gama is located in the Higashiyama district in Kyoto. We are right along the Higashioji-dori street. Our studio and gallery entrance is on the south side of the building. You will see a awning shade.
Please stop by! If the entrance door happens to be closed, please ring us by the inter phone.
Inside Our Studio
We perform all stages of pottery making in our studio, from throwing on the potter’s wheel to glazing and firing.
We are happy to describe to you the steps in making any of the pieces you will see in our gallery.